If you want to change your WordPress website’s visual appearance, one way to installs a new WordPress theme. In this video lesson, we will learn how we can install a theme in WordPress in different ways.
What is a WordPress Theme?
A WordPress Theme is a collection of templates and stylesheets which define the visual appearance of your WordPress website.
For example, if you change the theme of your mobile device, the visual appearance of the display also changes, right?. Similarly, a WordPress theme controls the presentation of WordPress website content.
Two methods to install WordPress theme:
- Install a Theme from WordPress.org Repository by Search. And Second,
- Install a Theme by uploading a ‘ZIP’ package.
Install a Theme from WordPress Repository:
- Let’s go to the WordPress Dashboard and then Appearance – Themes.
- After that, you need to click on Add New.
- Here you will see all the free Themes listed from the WordPress repository; you can sort or view them by ‘Featured’, ‘Popular’, ‘Latest’, etc.
- You can install any of these Themes or Search for the specific one. Let’s search for the default WordPress theme Twenty Twenty and then click install. After that, click activate.
- Now you see the visual appearance of the web page content.
Install a Theme by uploading a ‘. ZIP’ package:
In some cases, you may receive a Theme in the ‘ZIP’ Package, especially if you buy a premium theme.
To upload a Theme from a Zip Package,
- Let’s go to the WordPress dashboard and then Appearance – Themes.
- After that, you need to click on Add New and then Upload Themes.
- Now, select the Theme’s ‘ZIP’ package from your computer and click install now.
- You see, the theme is installed, and you need to activate it by clicking the activate link. Let’s visit the web page again, and what you see, the visual appearance is a bit different now with this new theme.
However, for the second method, you also can install the theme a bit differently. This is how it goes.
- Just unzip the Theme’s ‘ZIP’ package and put the Theme folder in the WordPress theme directory.
- After that, go to the WordPress dashboard and then Appearance – Themes. You will see your theme is on the list. All you need to Activate the Theme.
In the next lesson, we will learn ‘How to customize a WordPress theme’ so you can change the visual appearance of your web page according to your need.
Let’s not forget to subscribe to our channel and stay with us to learn everything about the World’s most popular CMS WordPress.
We are uploading step-by-step tutorial videos regularly on World’s most popular website content management system WordPress. So, stay tuned and keep learning.
We also recommend you to check out this article 5 Reasons why you should choose WordPress over other CMS.