If you want to extend your WordPress website’s functionality, one way to installs a new WordPress plugin for that specific need. In this video lesson, we will learn how we can install a plugin in WordPress in different ways.
What is a WordPress Plugin?
A WordPress Plugin is a piece of software that extends the functionality or add new features to your WordPress website.
For example, we install software to our Mobile/Computer for a specific purpose. Let say, we install Video Player software on our computer to play Videos.
Similarly, a WordPress Plugin can be installed to extends our WordPress site’s functionality. Let say, we install a “Contact Form” Plugin to create a form so that our website visitors can send us a message.
Two methods to install WordPress plugin:
- Install a Plugin from WordPress.org Repository by Search. And Second,
- Install a Plugin by uploading a ‘ZIP’ package.
Install a Plugin from WordPress Repository:
- Let’s go to the WordPress Dashboard and then Plugins – Add New.
- Here you will see all the free plugins listed from the WordPress repository; you can sort or view them by “Featured”, “Popular” etc.
- You can install any of these Plugins or Search for the specific one. Let’s search for the Plugin Contact Form 7 and then click install now. After that, click activate.
- After activating, you can see the plugin in the list. You can check the detailed Documentation of any plugin by clicking “View Details” so you can set up the plugin according to your need.
In this case, this popular Plugin allows you to create a “Contact Form” for your WordPress website which users can use to send you messages. You can change or configure the “Contact Form” by visiting the settings link.
You can also Activate, and Deactivate any plugin.
Install a Plugin by uploading a ‘. ZIP’ package:
In some cases, you may receive a Plugin in the ‘ZIP’ Package, especially if you buy a premium one. Let’s download the popular SEO plugin “Yoast SEO” from WordPress.org.
- To install a Plugin from a Zip Package, let’s go to the WordPress dashboard and then Plugins – Add New.
- After that, you need to click on the Upload Plugin.
- Now, Browse and Select the Plugin’s ‘ZIP’ package from your computer and click install now.
- You see, the plugin is installed, and you need to activate it by clicking the activate link.
This popular SEO plugin helps you to optimize your site with a proper SEO strategy.
However, for the second method, you also can install the plugin a bit differently. This is how it goes.
- Just unzip the plugin’s ‘ZIP’ package, and put the Plugin folder in the WordPress plugin directory.
- After that, go to the WordPress dashboard, and then Plugins. You will see your plugin is on the list. All you need to Activate the plugin and setup it up according to your need.
In the next lesson, we will learn “How to create a page in WordPress using Gutenberg Editor” so you can easily create your site’s “About us” or “Service” page according to your preference.
Let’s not forget to subscribe to our channel and stay with us to learn everything about the World’s most popular CMS WordPress.
We are uploading step-by-step tutorial videos regularly on World’s most popular website content management system WordPress. So, stay tuned and keep learning.
We also recommend you to check out this article Essential Plugins to make your WordPress website efficient