Maria WordPress Theme Documentation
We strongly request you to check the installation video above and also go through this easy and detailed instruction which will answer most of your questions.
If you have some issues that are beyond this instruction, please feel free to contact us via our Support Page. Our average response time is around 12 – 36 hours on weekdays.
- Theme Version: 1.0.1
- Theme Last Update: 2022, March 08
- Theme Create Date: 2021, July 13
- Get Support: Create a Ticket
If you like this theme, Follow/Subscribe us:
Installing the Theme
After you purchase, you will get the download link to your Email. Go to that link and download the file to your computer
1. If you purchase the Theme from our website (essentialwebapps.com), you will get the installable WordPress theme (ewa-maria-theme.zip) ZIP file only.
2. If you purchase the theme from other marketplaces, you will get a Zip folder (maria-feminine-wordpress-theme-unzip-first.zip), which you will need to unzip first. After unzipping this zip file, you will find the installable WordPress theme (ewa-maria-theme.zip) ZIP file and other related files/folders inside it.
Now you need to install the theme file ewa-maria-theme.zip. You can install the theme in a couple of ways.
1. Install via WordPress
- Log in to your WordPress admin area
- Browse to Appearance > Themes
- Click on Add New
- Click Upload Theme
- Browse and select the theme zip file ewa-maria-theme.zip from your computer to upload
- Click Install Now
- Now you see, the theme is installed
- Now Click Activate to activate the theme
2. Install via FTP
You can also install the Theme via FTP and here it is goes:
- Connect to your server through FTP or SFTP, by using an FTP client like FileZilla.
- Find the WordPress installation root folder.
- Browse to the “/wp-content/themes/” folder.
- Unzip/extract the theme file ewa-maria-theme.zip that is in your PC and upload the folder ewa-maria-theme there
- Login to your WordPress admin area and go to Appearance > Themes to activate the EWA Maria theme.
Check out the guide on WordPress.org for more information.
Load the Demo Data
Maria comes with One-Click Demo import features to make your customization super easy. After installing the theme you need to do the following for demo data to import (please check the attached screenshots to understand better)
1. Click On Begin Installing Plugins.
2. Check all and select Install from the dropdown and then click on Apply button.
3. After Successfully Installed all Plugins you will see the message Return to Required Plugin Installer and click on it.
4. Check all and select Activate from dropdown and then click on Apply button.
5. After Successfully activated all Plugins you will see the message Return to the Dashboard and click on it.
6. Go Appereance > Import Demo Data and then click on Import Demo Data button.
Please wait and DON’T CLOSE TAB/WINDOW before importing data. it will take few minutes and depends on you Internet Speed.
7. After Successfully Imported all data you will see this message That’s it. all done! now please visit your website front page and it will look like the Preview. Enjoy! Now edit/update the pages with your own content.
Set Up Theme Menus
To edit the Menus, go Appereance > Menus and Edit/Update your Menus the way you want.
Primary Menu: is the main theme Menu that is showing to the header across all the theme post/pages.
Secondary Menu: is the secondary theme Menu that is showing to the header across all the theme post/pages
Footer Menu: is the secondary theme Menu that is showing to the footer across all the theme post/pages
Maria WordPress theme comes with lots of admin options, Go to Appearance > Maria Options from the left panel and you’ll see all the cool things you can customize to suite your needs
From changing the Logo to styling Navigation, Footer, Header etc – You can just do these with a mouse click
Maria is Gutenberg Drag & Drop blocks compatible. Along with default blocks, Maria WordPress Blog Theme comes with custom Gutenberg blocks. These make your editing experience of post/pages super easy.
To edit a page you can go to pages from your dashboard and click on the edit link on that page
or if you are login as an admin you can click the edit page from the admin top toolbar of that page.
You can also add any available Gutenberg Block to the page if you wish.
For each of the page’s details editing, see the next few sections in this documentation.
Home Page Details
Home Page is a special page and everything (except header and footer) on the Home page is coming from Widgets. To edit the Home page you need to go to Appearance->Widgets and then the Sidebars (Home Top, Home Before Content, Home Content, Home After Content, and Bottom) holds all these Home page widgets.
When you import the demo data the widgets will appear automatically under the sidebars. But if it does not appear here you can easily add any widgets to any sidebars from the available widgets area.
To edit the following Home post Slider,
you need to click on “Maria Selected Posts Slider Widget” from Sidebar “Home Top” and just need to select the posts you want to show like the below screenshot.
You can add more highlights to the following Highlights section,
you have to click on “Maria Highlight With Image Widget” from Sidebar “Home Before Content” and click on the Add Row button to add as many as you wish like the following screenshot.
The following Image Slider is suitable for affiliates you can add images with affiliate links here.
To do that click on “Maria Image Slider Widget” from Sidebar “Home Before Content” and click this Add Row button like the bellow screenshot.
Now, let’s move on to our Home page Content section,
To edit this section click on the “Maria Post Feed Widget” from the sidebar “Home Page Content” and it comes with many settings (Template, Column in each row, Amount to initial load, etc) which are very easy to follow.
Moving to Newsletter section to edit the following,
you need to click on “Maria CTA Widget” from the sidebar “Home After Content”. You will find this Newsletter shortcode from the WordPress admin panel MailChimp forms page (check the “Connect Mailchimp Newsletter” section of this documentation for details).
Now, to edit the following Social Link,
click on the “Maria Social Link Widget” from the sidebar “Bottom” and here you will be able to add your business social profile links as many as you want to like the following screenshot.
Lastly, this Instagram Feed to edit the following ,
Click on “Text Widget” from the sidebar “Bottom”, here this shortcode is available under the display your feed tab on the Instagram Feed settings page. To connect the Instagram Feed, please follow the part “Connect Instagram Feed” in this documentation.
About Page Details
The full About page was build using Gutenberg Basic Blocks like Paragraph, Image, Heading, Custom HTML, etc. If you click on the content you can edit them according to your preferences.
You can also add any available Gutenberg Block to the page if you wish. Click this Plus icon and drag and drop your desire blocks.
Services Page Details
The full Services page was build using our Custom Gutenberg Blocks like Awesome Images, CTA Header, Services, Testimonial, and CTA.
This is the first section of your Service page “Awesome Images”, if you click on the following block you will be able to edit the block from the right-side options.
You can edit the following “CTA Header” content
and styling (Color) same as Awesome Images.
Next, this is your Services section to add more services click on Add Row button from the right-side options like the following screenshot.
The same goes for the following Testimonial section.
For the following CTA section edit follows the same process as mention for the above sections.
Contact Page Details
Contact Page comes with a Contact Form, powered by heavily used WordPress Plugin – Contact Form 7. Here a Gutenberg shortcode block was used to display the form.
You will find this shortcode from the contact menu of the dashboard and click the contact forms.
At the bottom of the page, you will find the contact form shortcode use this shortcode to display the form on your website. In your case, this shortcode will be different.
Sidebar Widgets Details
There are four Right sidebars (Main Sidebar, Sidebar Article, Sidebar Page, and Sidebar Woocommerce) on this theme.
From the dashboard, lets click on Appearance and then Widgets from left panel to see all the siderbar and widgets.
The Main Sidebar is especially designed for the home and archive page. The other two sidebars Sidebar Article, Sidebar Page are displaying on the Article and Pages (ex: contact page). And the Sidebar Woocommerce is only for Woocommerce related pages.
Now, let’s go through the sidebar widgets one by one.
1. To edit the following Author Bio Widget
you need to click on “Maria Bio of the Author Widget” from the “Sidebar Article” and it comes with many settings (Widget Title, About Title, About Description, etc) which are very easy to follow.
2. Next, We have a Recent posts sidebar to edit the following sidebar,
you have to click on “Maria Recent Posts Widgets” from the sidebar “Sidebar Article”, where you will find the settings of the recent post’s widget which you can easily follow as shown in the below screenshot.
3. Then a custom Category widget when you will import the demo data the following sidebar will automatically appear here.
But if it does not appear here you can easily add this from the available widgets area.
4. The following Search widget,
here we have used the default search widget of WordPress which you can easily find on the available widgets area.
5. Now, the Trending Posts Widget to edit the following sidebar,
you need to click on the “Maria Trending Posts Widgets” from the sidebar “Sidebar Article”, which contains some easy settings like the following screenshot.
6. Let’s move to the Advertisement widget to edit the following sidebar,
Click on the “Maria Static Image Ad for separate desktop & mobile image Widget” from the sidebar “Sidebar Article” and you can add your business Ad Static Images with links there like the following screenshot.
7. Next is the Pinterest feed widget
For the Pinterest feed to show in the widget, go to this Pinterest API link, put your profile link (replace https://www.pinterest.com/pinterest/ to https://www.pinterest.com/YOUR_USERNAME/) on the field Pinterest user URL.
Pinterest will give you a code. You will use this code to show the feed on your website. Just copy and paste the code to a WordPress default Custom HTML Widget, and it will display your Pinterest Feed.
Pinterest will actually provide this. Copy and paste this code into your page where you want your feed to appear:
Do not forget to replace https://www.pinterest.com/pinterest/ to https://www.pinterest.com/YOUR_USERNAME/ where YOUR_USERNAME is your pinterest user name
8. Lastly, the Newsletter widget, to edit the following widget,
you need to expand the “Maria Newsletter Widget” from the sidebar “Sidebar Article”, here the following id is the MailChimp form id. You can find this form id from the WordPress admin panel MailChimp forms page (check the “Connect Mailchimp Newsletter” section of this documentation for details).
Connect Instagram Feed
After you importing the Demo Data, you will not see the Instagram Feed on your Frontpage. It is because you will need to connect your Instagram account. Here is the step by step process.
1. First, login to your Facebook, why? It is needed as Facebook and Instagram are using the same shared API
2. From the WordPress dashboard, go to Instagram Feed > Settings.
3. Click Connect an Instagram account.
4. Select Personal or Business (the one your account type is) and then click Connect
5. If you are already logged to Facebook, You will now see Your Facebook account name. Please click on it. If you are not logged in, then it will ask you to log in. So, login please.
6. Now Check your Instagram account and click Connect Accounts. Thats all, you now check and your Instagram Feed will show on the page
Connect Mailchimp Newsletter
Mailchimp newsletter has been integrated with our theme. If you want to collect the email addresses of your future clients, you can use this feature. For this, You need to have a Mailchimp account and need to connect it with your website Newsletter plugin.
1. Login to your Mailchimp account and then collect the Mailchimp API Key.
2. Go to WordPress dashboard and then click on Mailchimp. Put your API Key there and Save Changes
3. If you go to the Mailchimp Settings tab, you will see some advanced settings. Our theme demo data has comes with all settings, so you probably don’t need this. But still, if you want some advanced settings, you can do it. Also, you can get the form shortcode here which you can use in any pages, or widgets to show the form there. This is a very cool feature!
3. If you go to the Mailchimp Fields tab, you will see the Newsletter HTML form. Please do not edit it, otherwise, your form style may break. But of course, if you have basic HTML knowledge, you can tweak it. Also, you can use your own custom Mailchimp Form HTML code here or add your Mailchimp extra fields if needed.
3. If you go to the Mailchimp Messages tab, you will see all the messages, related to your newsletter form. For example, you can put your custom messages when a user Subscribe and so on. Feel free to edit those.
Install Child Theme
The good thing about our theme is, we also provide a child theme. So, you don’t need to create it but can use it right away.
Do not write/edit Parent theme’s CSS, JS, PHP files. Because this way you will lose changes during the Theme update as it will replace the parent theme files. If you want to customize the theme’s CSS, JS, PHP files Instead do the following:
After installing parent theme (ewa-maria-theme.zip) and importing the Demo data, install (the same way you installed the parent theme.) the child theme (ewa-maria-theme-child.zip) that is included in the download and activate it. This way you will not lose any changes when we update the parent theme (ewa-maria-theme.zip).
See the official details docs about child theme.
How to Translate
A very cool feature – Maria comes with Translation files, so you can translate the string into your own language.
By default when you select the language (for example, French) from the Dashboard (Settings->General), the WordPress dashboard language changes automatically.
But for theme String, you have the freedom to choose your own translated text. Here is VIDEO TUTORIAL or just follow the following procedure.
Install Loco Translate plugin.
Here we are demonstrating how our other theme (Amanda) translated. Follow the same steps to translate your theme EWA Maria. Go to Loco translate -> Themes and then click on EWA Amanda.
Copy the already available English translation by Click on Copy.
Select French (in your case, it is the one you want) and keep other default settings and click on Start Translating.
For example, we want to translate the Load more text that is in the theme.
Go back and search for the text “load more”, and you will see the available French translation field.
Write the translation of “load more” to the French translation field.
Now, if you change the site language (Settings->General) to French by selecting from the Dropdown and Save changes.
Go to your front page, and refresh. It now shows your translated text.
Similarly, you can change the other string.
And they will change.
So you need to repeat this process if you want more text to be translated.
How to Upgrade Theme
The good thing about our Theme is we regularly update our theme to make it compatible with the latest WordPress, bug-free and secure. When we release a new version, you should update it.
NOTE: We recommend you to keep the backup of your modified files of the Theme if you did any (However, you should not edit Parent-theme files. If you need editing, we already provided you the child Theme. Install the Child theme we provided, so you don’t lose any changes during the Parent-theme updates. See the “Install Child Theme” section above to know more).
We are demonstrating how one of our themes (Amanda) upgraded. Follow the same steps to upgrade your theme.
Here how you can update the theme.
1. If you buy the theme from our website, you’ll have the option to update the theme with one click from the WordPress dashboard.
2. If you buy the theme from other market places, then you can update the theme in two ways.
a) One way is to use “Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades”.
To update the theme you can follow the steps.
- Download Easy Theme and Plugin Upgrades plugin and install it in your site.
- Choose the theme file (e.g., ewa-amanda-theme.zip) and click Install Now button.
- It will automatically install the new theme, and backup the old theme, and give you a link to download the backup.
- Make sure that your theme is active.
Before updating the theme, we recommend you make a backup of your modified files.
Also, deactivate the current version before uploading the new theme file.
We have used Senior Care WordPress theme to demonstrate the upgrade process. You can follow the same steps to upgrade this theme. Check video tutorial
b) Another way is to Update via FTP.
First, you need to unzip the updated Theme folder (ewa-amanda-theme.zip) on your computer and then
Download an FTP client like Filezilla free version and install it on your computer like regular Software.
After installing Filezilla, open it and you will have the following view
Click on File and then Site Manager
Select FTP or SFTP (the type of your host) from the Dropdown, Input your Host, Host username, and Host Password, and click Connect. All these info, you will get from your Hosting provider.
Locate your local theme files/folder from your Computer and also locate your Theme folder on your host.
Select all files/folders from your local “themes/ewa-amanda-theme” and drag and replace these to your Host’s “themes/ewa-amanda-theme” folder. It will take few minutes. That’s it.
WordPress does have a learning curve but it is very easy to get into it. If you are new to WordPress and want to know the basics, like Creating Posts, Managing Categories, Menus, and so on, we prepared (and constantly adding) documentation for that too. Check WordPress basic documentation.
Issue: The package could not be installed.
If you purchase Maria from other marketplaces than our website and during install, if you get the following error:
“Installing Theme from uploaded file: maria-wordpress-blog-theme-unzip-first.zip
Unpacking the package…
Installing the theme…
The package could not be installed. The theme is missing the style.css stylesheet.
Theme installation failed.”
The reason is:
You are trying to install the whole ZIP folder (maria-wordpress-blog-theme-unzip-first.zip) which you downloaded. This is wrong.
You need to UNZIP this ZIP folder first. To do so, just right-click on the ZIP folder and then Click Extract Here.
And then you will find the Theme ZIP file “ewa-maria-theme.zip” which you need to install.
So now, if you install ewa-maria-theme.zip, you will not get this error.
Sources and Credits
- Slick Slider
- Images used in the Theme are demo purpose only. Not included with the Theme
2022, March 08 – v 1.0.2
– Fixed: Security
– Updated: Compatibility check for WordPress 5.9.X
– Updated: Plugins
– Updated: Theme documentation
2021, October 09 – v 1.0.1
– Fixed: Block widget issue
– Updated: Compatibility check for WordPress 5.8.X
– Updated: Plugins
– Updated: Theme documentation
2021, July 13 – v 1.0.0
– Initial release